The Missionary Sisters of the Sacred Heart of Jesus first began working in Nicaragua in 1891 when Mother Cabrini founded a school for girls in Granada. The Missionary Sisters who followed developed apostolates in response to the needs of the people. Over the last decades they continued to faithfully and courageously accompany the poor and marginalized through a series of tumultuous and often revolutionary events. Missionary Sisters of the Sacred Heart of Jesus founded two schools which provide much needed educational opportunities to children living in impoverished areas.
Holy Family School Number 1 was founded in 1969 with the intention of responding to the educational needs of children in Managua, Nicaragua.
Managua is a densely populated urban area. Students who attend the school are from various economic backgrounds, though most are poor. In some rare cases students have school scholarships, while others receive family remittance because they are in the care of other family members such as aunts and uncles or grandparents. This mostly occurs when parents are working out of the country.
There are three other schools located in the same Zone as Holy Family School: one public primary school, one evangelical high school, and one private high school. Holy Family School has an excellent reputation for comprehensive and quality training. The number of students served is limited by space, as the physical building cannot accommodate additional children. Parents request that their children attend this school because of the human, moral, Christian, and Cabrinian values that highlight every aspect of the mission.
Initial Formation: Pre-Kindergarten level education. Approximately 153 students are enrolled at this level every year
Primary Education: Primary level education. Approximately 526 students are enrolled at this level every year.