The Missionary Sisters of the Sacred Heart of Jesus first began working in Nicaragua in 1891 when Mother Cabrini founded a school for girls in Granada. Throughout the years they have continued to faithfully and courageously accompany the poor and marginalized through a series of tumultuous and revolutionary events. In 1974 the Missionary Sisters founded Technical Institute “La Inmaculada” to provide much needed vocational educational opportunities for children living in impoverished areas of Managua. The Sisters also founded and run an elementary school in the same city.
Technical Institute “La Inmaculada” was founded in 1974 in response to the need for vocational and skills-based education in Pochocuape, Managua, Nicaragua. “La Inmaculada” strives to provide comprehensive education directed toward skills learning or preparation for university studies. Staff work diligently to create a learning environment that will encourage young people to be good leaders, professionals, and community members.
Technical Institute “La Inmaculada” currently has 1,251 students enrolled and 33 teachers employed. Pre-kindergarten through secondary students are served at this school. Road conditions are poor and the neighborhood lacks a sewer system. Residential homes are primarily made of planks, sheets of zinc, blocks, and plastic. Continuing economic deprivation and joblessness creates a social environment where children are left alone or with family members while parents migrate or travel long distances to find meaningful work.