My thoughts run to our many immigrants who arrive annually on the shores of the Atlantic, moving into the already overcrowded cities of the East, and there they encounter many difficulties and meager wages. In our small sphere we are helping to solve important social problems, in every State and every city where our houses are opened. In these homes, we receive the orphans, the sick, the poor: thousands of children are instructed, not only that, but the good that is done is immense, through contact with the people who facilitate our institutions.” – Mother Cabrini
Responding to the Gospel call for justice and love, honoring the Catholic Social Teachings on the dignity of all persons, and continuing the legacy of St. Frances Xavier Cabrini, Patroness of Immigrants, the Stella Maris Province of the Missionary Sisters of the Sacred Heart of Jesus commits itself to:
- WELCOME as brothers and sisters all immigrants to the lands in which we are missioned.
- SUPPORT the rights of all persons to flee political, religious, or economic persecution; and support the basic human rights and dignity of all persons regarding: food, shelter, health care, employment at just wages, religious freedom and also honoring their customs and traditions.
- EDUCATE others and ourselves about the needs of immigrants.
- RE-EXAMINE political laws and regulations in the light of these justice issues and to work change those that do not meet human needs.
- WORK in solidarity with immigrants and with others who share our values and beliefs to promote justice and compassion for all immigrants.
God our Father,
Who called Saint Frances Xavier Cabrini from Italy
To serve the immigrants of America by her example,
Teach us to have concern for the stranger,
The sick and all those in need.
And by her prayers, help us to see Christ
In all the men and women we meet.
Through our Lord, Jesus Christ, your son,
Who lives and reigns with you
in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
One God, forever and ever.